HR in the Federal Context
This two-day “boot camp” will teach participants what they need to know to navigate the federal environment. Participants will learn the rules, regulations, and guiding principles surrounding the operations and management of HR in the federal government in addition to gaining valuable knowledge of their role as an HR professional within this regulatory framework. Participants receive a thorough overview of classification and compensation systems as integral, yet specialized part of a comprehensive view of the federal government. This correlative viewpoint will allow participants to gain a holistic perspective as to how the classification and compensation systems and processes fit within the federal regulatory environment, as well as their connection to vital HR functional areas and competencies.
*PLEASE NOTE: To receive the SHRM member discount price, please call our HR enrollment specialists at 888.545.8571 to enroll. Discount pricing is currently not available online.
SHRM Member Price: $829*
SHRM Non-Member Price: $929
Course prices include 1-year membership in the Society for Human Resource Management, providing access to vital HR resources, professional development opportunities, and more than 250,000 professionals.
- Describe the roles and authorities of federal agencies and oversight bodies
- Recognize the implications of the budget process to federal HR Professionals
- Describe the differences between Title 5 of the US Code and the Code of Federal Regulations
- Explain the unique position of the federal government compared to the private sector
- Describe the purpose behind government accountability
- Describe the federal classification process
- Describe the federal hiring system and key hiring issues
- Identify basic legal rights and responsibilities of bargaining units and management
- Describe the differences between private and public sector employee and labor relations
- Demonstrate understanding of the impact of the administration and Congress on federal HR
- The federal framework
- Sources of authority: US Code titles 1-50
- What makes federal HR different
- Classification, pay, and benefits
- Federal hiring
- Federal employee and labor relations
- Hot topics and current events
- Bring this course to your organization! To learn more, call 888.545.8577.